Willenhall History Society
Street Names - T
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y
Tall Trees Close. This small estate stands on the site of the old Short Heath Institute which was destroyed by fire in the 1970's and also the old Holy Trinity Church Hall which was sold off by the church in 1923 and later demolished. Tall Trees is a reference to the line of tall Poplar trees which stands in nearby Coltham Road.
Taverners Close. Takes its name from the fact that it lies near to the Milestones Inn in Essington Road.
Temple Bar. The origins of this name have puzzled historians for a long time and the only feasible theory so far put forward is that it takes its name from the Temple district of London lying between Fleet Street and the Thames. It took its name from the Knights Templars who owned it from about 1160 until their suppression. The Temple was leased to Law students as Inns of Court (The Inner and Middle Temple) in the 14th century. Temple Bar like Holborn Bar and other bars leading from London marked the limit of the common lands or liberties that surrounded the medieval city. It was rebuilt by Sir C Wren in 1672-3 and removed in 1878. It now stands at Theobalds Park Cheshunt. The name is thought to have been adopted due to the fact that it is situated in the area known as Little London.
Temple Road. See Temple Bar.
Temple Square. See Temple Bar.
Tenbury Close. Named after the town of Tenbury Wells in Shropshire.
Tennyson Road. Named after Lord Alfred Tennyson poet and first Baron Tennyson 1809-1892. Born in Somersby where his father was the rector Tennyson was educated at Trinity College Cambridge where he won the Chancellor's Medal for English verse in 1829 for his poem "Timbucktoo" He succeeded Wordsworth as Poet Laureate in 1850. He is buried in Westminster Abbey.
Thompson Close. Named after the Thompson family who were well known industrialists in Little London during the last century.
Thompson Street. See Thompson Close.
Thorne Road. This road was named on December 9th 1930 by the council to perpetuate the memory of George Rennie Thorne who was Liberal Member of Parliament for the Wolverhampton East constituency, of which Willenhall was part for 21 years. Mr Thorne was born in Scotland in 1853 but came to Wolverhampton as a young man where he became a partner in the family firm of solicitors,G.R. Thorne, Sons and Co. His first taste of government was at local level when he was elected to the Wolverhampton Borough Council in 1897 and served for a number of years, being elected as Mayor for the year 1902-3. When Sir H.H. Fowler the sitting member for Wolverhampton East was elevated to the peerage, taking the title, Lord Wolverhampton Mr Thorne was chosen as his successor to fight the seat in the 1908 elections. A seat which the Liberals had always held. In an attempt to wrest the seat from the Liberals the Conservatives put up Mr L.S. Amery, a big name candidate, in opposition and in a bitterly fought campaign, Mr Thorne scraped home by just 8 votes after a number of recounts. On June 4th 1927 Mr Thorne announced that in view of his age, (he was now 74) he would retire from politics at the next election which he did in 1929 after 21 years of continuous service.
Threshers Drive. All the names on this estate have names connected with farming due to the fact that it stands on the site of the old Manor Farm.
Threshers Way. See Threshers Drive.
Tildesley Drive. Norman W Tildesley was a councillor for over 40 years having been first elected in 1934 and served as Chairman of Willenhall Urban District Council for the year 1946-47. He was also a Lay Reader of the Church of England for many years but he will remembered by many as a local historian of considerable standing who spent his life researching and recording the history of his home town. Many books were published by him on a variety of subjects but the one for which he will be best remembered is his"A History of Willenhall" published in conjunction with Willenhall Urban District Council in 1951 to commemorate the Festival of Britain. The book is now out of print and is regarded as a collectors item and very much sought after. Mr Tildesley continued to serve on the Urban District Council until it became part of Walsall in 1966, following which he was elected to the re-organised Walsall MBC where he continued to represent the interests of the people of Willenhall until his retirement from local politics. He died on March 19th 1993 at the age of 92.
Tobruck Road. This road commemorates the siege of Tobruck in the Western Desert during the early years of the Second World War when the hopelessly outnumbered Commonwealth troops held the port against the Afrika Corps for many months before being over run. The port was recaptured in 1942 when the allied troops swept the Axis troops out of North Africa.
Torridon Road. Takes its name from the Scottish town of Torridon near Achnasheen in Ross and Cromarty.
Treetop Drive. Stands on the Furzebank Estate just off Furzebank Way. The name has no special significance.
Trentham Avenue. Named after Trentham Park, a well known Staffordshire beauty spot. Trentham Hall to which the grounds belonged was once the main residence of the Leveson family who had strong Willenhall connections.
Trinity Road. Named after the Parish Church of Holy Trinity Short Heath.The first steps towards creating a new parish in Short Heath were taken at a meeting of the Willenhall Vestry and Ratepayers on December 4th 1845 when a proposal to create two new Ecclesiastical Districts out of the chapelry of Willenhall, one to be called St. Stephens District and the other Holy Trinity District was formally approved.This came into effect on March 17th 1846 when it was officially gazetted, with the proviso that it would become a parish when the new church was built. By 14th December 1847 a building was licensed as a temporary place of worship and the Reverend James Lecky had been installed as the first incumbent.The building was said to hold 300 but unfortunately we do not know where it was. The congregation began to grow and by 1851 when a census was taken the average attendance at morning service was given as 60 with 140 Sunday school scholars and the attendance for the afternoon or evening service 100 with 80 Sunday scholars. The Rev Lecky died in 1853 and his place was taken by the Rev. W.E. Rosedale who continued with the work which saw the church consecrated on July 25th 1855. Of considerable assistance financially was Daniel Bagnall proprietor of the Coltham Colliery and Coltham Ironworks which stood nearby together with Mr Barnabus and Sons and Joseph Samuel. A vicarage and day school were added later, the school being closed in 1930 and the vicarage being replaced with a new building circa 1965.
Tyler Road. Named after John Tyler, builder, plumber and decorator and also member of Willenhall Urban District Council. When the last member of the Hincks family (Mrs Price) died the whole estate including the Dale House and the Coliseum Cinema was put up for sale. John Tyler and his daughter Norah purchased the premises and set about creating a new cinema from the old Coliseum which was really an old malthouse belonging to the Hincks family before it had been converted into a cinema. The result was the modern Dale Cinema which opened on October 31st 1932 with seating for 1,150 patrons including a balcony which held 250. The first film shown was "Viennese Nights" in technicolor and with full Western Electric Sound. John did not live long to enjoy the fruits of his labour and the cinema was taken over by Norah who maintained control until her death in 1945 when the cinema was acquired by Messrs J.L. and A.H. Brain who also owned a cinema at Aldridge. With the coming of television the popularity of cinemas declined and the Dale closed its doors for the last time as a cinema on 30th December 1967 and the building finally became a Bingo Hall re-opening for this purpose on February 16th 1968. Mr Tyler was elected to the Urban District Council in 1910 and apart from a break between 1931 and 1934, served until his death in 1942. He was replaced by Councillor T.L. Allen.
Willenhall History Society Website 30/1/00