Willenhall History Society
Street Names - P
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y
Packwood Drive. Named after Packwood in Warwickshire.
Park Avenue. Runs alongside the Memorial Park.
Park Road. A road leading from the Wednesfield Road to the Willenhall Memorial Park.
Parkes Street. Named after Councillor John Abel Parkes, local business man and long time member of the Willenhall Urban District Council. He served continuously from 1931 until 1958, during which time he served as Chairman on two occasions, the first from 1938 to 1940 and the second from 1951 until 1954, during which period he was awarded the O.B.E. for his services to Local Government in the Queens Coronation Honours list of June 1953. Mr Parkes was also a Justice of the Peace.
Parkside Avenue. A short stretch of road running alongside the boundary of the Memorial Park and connecting Aston Road with Beech Road. Hence its name.
Pear Tree Avenue. A short street which stands on the east side of William Harper Road, and as its name implies takes its name from the fruit bearing tree of that name.
Peel Street. Prior to development was known as Jefferies Lane, presumably after Jeffery Tildesley who at one time owned the Bulls Head Inn, an old coaching Inn which for many years stood at the junction of Peel Street and Wolverhampton Street. Jeffery was born at Eccleshall on January 1st 1705 and came to Willenhall about 1730. In 1731 he married Elizabeth Thomas of the Bell Inn Market Place and shortly afterwards he bought the Bulls Head Inn. He died in February 1792. The street was renamed Peel Street when it was developed for housing in the middle of the last century, being named after Sir Robert Peel, Prime Minister and generally regarded as the founder of the modern police force.
Pembroke Close. Takes its name from the town of Pembroke in Wales.
Pennine Way. Takes its name from a range of mountains which run down the middle of the country, sometimes called the backbone of England. The Pennine Way is a route popular with many long distance walkers.
Perry Hall Drive. Named after Perry Hall Farm which for many years stood nearby, and was the home of the Perry family for many years. When the Wyrley and Essington Canal was constructed, the line of the canal ran through the farm and as a result of the negotiations which took place, Mr James Perry, the owner of the farm became a proprietor of the canal, no doubt he was given shares as payment for allowing the canal to cross his land.
Perth Road. Named after the Scottish town of Perth.
Petworth Close. Named after the town of Petworth in Sussex.
Pimbury Road. Named after the Reverend G.C.W. Pimbury who was vicar of Holy Trinity Church Short Heath from 1906 until 1916 when he left to take up an appointment at Darlaston. Mr Pimbury was said to have been one of the first people in the parish to own a motor car.
Pineneedle Croft. The Pine tree is a valuable evergreen coniferous tree used much in furnishing, also produces Turpentine, pitch and resin.
Pinewood Close. See Pineneedle Croft.
Pinson Road. On February 7th 1921 Willenhall Council announced plans for a new road to run from Field Street to Wolverhampton Street which would be known as Pinson Road in honour of Charles Henry Pinson a member of the council and a tireless worker who had devoted his whole life to the service of the town. Mr Pinson was born in 1875 in Cannon Street and by the time he was 21 years of age he had established his own business C.H. Pinson Junior. This to avoid confusion with his father of the same name. In 1913 he purchased the firm of John Minors in Union Street and when his father died in the same year he took control of his business interests. In 1916 he also bought a controlling interest in the firm of Beddow and Sturmey. In 1919 he was elected to the Willenhall Urban District Council and such was the esteem in which he was held that he was immediately elected chairman of that body, an office which he held until 1924. In 1921 he purchased a house for the Willenhall Nursing Association and in 1922 he was persuaded to stand as a Conservative Candidate for the Wolverhampton East constituency. Such was his popularity that although the constituency was regarded as a solid Liberal seat, yet he polled 9,410 votes against Mr Thornes 11,577. Mr Pinson was a member of the War Memorial and Town Development Committee which was formed in 1917 and threw himself tirelessly into the work of raising funds for the scheme.He also found time to serve as a magistrate on the local bench, a position he held until his death in 1934.
Planetary Road. Shortly after the Second World War the Ductile Steel Ltd. whose successful hot and cold steel rolling mills in Charles Street needed to expand,and Mr Frank Hall their enterprising Chairman launched a new company. Ductile Planetary Mills Ltd. with a newly found process called "Planetary Rolling". This revolutionary process was to be the first of its kind in the United Kingdom and its name was given to the access road from Neachells Lane, along which other Ductile subsidiaries were sited. The group moved its head office to Planetary Road in 1963.
Pooles Lane. This lane is said to have been named after Levi Poole, a member of a family well known in Short Heath even today. Levi was a master keysmith and founded the family business in 1860 when he was 21 years of age in Swan Lane, which later became known as Ezekiel Lane. The business was later run by two sons, Thomas and William but they later split up and began to operate under their own names. The business was then run by two sons, William and Howard and was known as Thomas Poole and Sons. When they retired in 1979 the business was sold to Keys of Steel Limited of Willenhall. Levi himself died in 1924 at the age of 85 and the premises are now occupied by Woodlands Windows.
Pool Hayes Lane. The lane was once known as Patricks Lane after the family that farmed the Pool Hayes Farm for some years,until it was sold for development. Pool Hayes Colliery also stood nearby many years ago. The name,which is of great age,simply means a wooded area near to a pool. The pool stood near the Pool Hayes School and was filled in some years ago to make way for housing development. The road was largely reconstructed in 1965 when the Pool Hayes Estate was built.
Primrose Street. This street once stood on the north side of Portobello High Street running down to the railway line. It was probably built in the 1830's when the Grand Junction Railway was constructing its line from Warrington to Birmingham. How it got its most unlikely name will probably never be known but it was demolished shortly after the Second World War as part of Willenhall's slum clearance programme to make way for flats.
Willenhall History Society Website 30/1/00