Willenhall History Society
Street Names - N
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y
Neachells Lane. Named after the ancient hamlet of Nechells, which derived its name from Echelles of the 13th century and over the following centuries known variously as Nechelles, Nechels, and Nechells until it became known as Neachells in the last 150 years. Neachells Hall was a moated homestead which stood for many years on the Wolverhampton side of the road near its junction with Strawberry Lane. By the 1850's the hall had degenerated into being used as a pub known as "The Board" but within a few years it fell into disrepair and was demolished, nothing remaining today. At the time of the Hearth Tax Returns in 1666 the house belonged to the Fowke Hope family and was shown as having 8 hearths. Neachells Farm stood on the other side of the road and near to the railway line. This also was originally a moated house but the moat was eliminated between 1870 and 1910 when coal mining operations were being carried out. In the early 1600's the farm was owned by Silvester Hayes and the Wilkes and Tomkys family also seemed to have been associated with it later, but when it was demolished a few years ago it was held by the Grosvenor family.
Nelson Street. An unadopted street situated off St Annes road near the junction with Bloxwich Road South. The street is little more than a track but did once contain some old houses which have long since been demolished. It was also the site of the former Monmer Lane Methodist Chapel until it was closed in the 1930's. Following its closure it was used for industrial purposes for some years before being finally demolished. The name is obviously a tribute to Admiral Lord Nelson, British Naval commander at the famous Battle of Trafalgar in 1815 when Nelson himself lost his life at the moment of victory. it is believed that Nelson Street was at one time a continuation of Monmer Lane, hence the name of the chapel.
Nevis Grove. Named after Ben Nevis, the highest mountain in the British Isles.
New Hall Street This street was so named to distinguish it from a street already in existence in the town called Hall Street and not because of any connections with a New Hall.
New Railway Street. So named because it ran parallel with the "new railway" which was opened by the Wolverhampton and Walsall Railway Company in 1872.
New Road. Was constructed about 1818 in order to improve communications to Wolverhampton and the West by avoiding the town centre. Before the road was made the area stretching out as far as the Bilston Road was known as "The Shrubbery" and was considered to be an area of outstanding beauty which included a well stocked fishing pool. It is said that people from surrounding towns came to walk and enjoy the sylvan surroundings before the Industrial Revolution saw the area despoiled by pit workings. The road was a turnpike and the toll house, which can still be seen today, is now a clothes shop situated between the T.S.B. Bank and the Natwest Bank.
New Street. Situated in Portobello, the buildings were completely demolished and replaced by a modern development just after the Second World War. The street was originally developed during the early part of the last century and was a "New Street" at that time.
Newark Road. Named after the town of Newark in Nottinghamshire.
Newent Close. Like other streets in the area takes its name from a small village in Gloucestershire situated near Ross on Wye.
Nightingale Crescent. Named after the Nightingale, a small insectivorous, bird that sings at night.
Noose Crescent. A street shaped like a crescent which begins and ends in Noose Lane. See also Noose Lane.
Noose Lane. The north end of Noose Lane once formed the old boundary between the parishes of Willenhall and Wednesfield. The lane goes back more than 600 years and is referred to in a document dated St. Valentines Day 1304, consisting of a writ to the Sheriff of Staffordshire concerning the ownership of land situated in Wednesfield. One of the signatories to the document was Nicholas le Nous of Wednesfield. Le Nous is believed to be a reference to Noose Lane. The mediaeval word "Nese" means a projection, suggesting land projecting out into another area or parish.
North Street. This street which stood on the west side of Brickkiln Street and lay parallel with South Street, hence the name, was probably built in the early part of the last century but it was not until December 6th 1909 that the council approved that it be made up and named North Street. The area was demolished shortly after the Second World War as part of the Council's slum clearance programme.
Nottingham Drive. Named after the City of Nottingham.
Willenhall History Society Website 29/1/00