Willenhall History Society
Street Names - L
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y
Lakeside Close. A recent development situated on the west side of Noose Lane. So named because of the many pools which once lay nearby. Of these one still stands at the junction of Noose Lane and Watery Lane and is used frequently for fishing and bird watching.
Langmead Close. Nothing is known of the origins of the name of this street which is situated off Western Avenue in Bentley.
Latimer Square. See Latimer Street.
Latimer Street. Named after the Reverend William Latimer Ward who served as a curate at St Giles Church under the Reverend G.H. Fisher from 1873 until 1880 when he took up an appointment as vicar of St Annes church, a post he held until his death on July 25th 1908 at the age of 55. Mr Ward was a graduate of Dublin University who studied medicine for 4 years but never qualified before being ordained deacon by the Bishop of Worcester on 21.12.1866. Prior to coming to Willenhall, Mr Ward had held a number of other curacies in the Midlands. In 1894, following the death of the Reverend Fisher, Mr Ward took part in the last election which was held to appoint a vicar at St Giles. He came second to the Reverend W.E. Rosedale polling only 157 votes against 199 for the winner.
Lauder Close. Named after the Scottish town of Lauder in the county of Berwick. It is believed that Sir Harry Lauder the famous music hall star of yesteryear also took his name from this source.
Lawrence Street. Named after Councillor Samuel Lawrence member of Willenhall Urban District Council and County Councillor from 1925 until he retired through ill health in 1944.He Served as Vice Chairman of the council for the year 1929/30..
Leacroft. Named after the Cannock and Leacroft Colliery which once formed part of the Cannock Chase Coalfield.
Lea View. See Leacroft.
Leve Lane. This is a short lane which connects Walsall Street and Lower Lichfield Street. The lane stands on land which was once part of the estates of the Wilkes family, who occupied nearby Willenhall Hall for many years. The hall stood on the site now occupied by the Willenhall Library. When the Wilkes family left the area after the death of Doctor Richard Wilkes, the land became part of the Chapel of Ease Estate until it was sold off in the last century. The name suggests that it may have been an ancient Right of Way over the land.
Leven Drive. Named after the town of Leven in Fifeshire, Scotland.
Leveson Street. Named after the Leveson family, who were lords of the Manor of Stowheath, and a branch of which family lived in nearby Moat House and owned extensive lands in the area. Richard Leveson was in Willenhall at the time of the reign of Edward the First (1272 to 1307) as lessee of the prebendal Manor and holder of a considerable estate in the Kings manor of Stowheath. The family also owned a house at Snow Hill Wolverhampton and also Trentham Hall. They made their considerable fortune from the wool trade, then the main industry in the Wolverhampton area. The Leveson's, like the Lane's of Bentley were Roman Catholics and fought on the side of the King during the Civil War. Thomas Leveson was a Colonel in the Kings army and was the Governor of Dudley Castle which he successfully defended until it was surrendered when the war ended. When John Leveson died about 1750 there was no male heir and the property passed jointly to his three daughters but by 1763 all their holdings in Willenhall had been sold off and the family left the area. By the turn of the century the house had gone although the grounds with their surrounding moat remained until the area was re-developed during the 1800's. It is believed that Moat House was built during Tudor Times and the Hearth Tax returns for Willenhall for 1666 show that it had 10 hearths, the largest building in the town.
Lewis Close. The close is named after a man named Lewis who although not a member of the council, served for a number of years as a non council member of the Parks Committee until his retirement in 1956.
Lichfield Road. Part of the main road from Wolverhampton to Lichfield via Wednesfield, Bloxwich, Brownhills and Muckley Corner. The road was originally called Wolverhampton Road.
Lilac Road. Named after the Lilac, a sweet scented shrub with either white or bluish flowers.
Lincoln Avenue. Named after the county town of Lincolnshire.
Linden Close. Named after the Linden or Lime Tree.
Linden Lane. See Linden Close.
Linnet Grove. A small singing bird popular among the working class many years ago as a caged bird.
Lister Street. This street was originally named Mount Pleasant but was renamed Lister Street on 29.07.1910 in honour of Councillor Samuel Lister who was elected a member of the Willenhall Urban District Council on April 18th 1898 and served as chairman from 1908 until 1912. He also served as Overseer for the Poor.
Little Lane. As its name implies, a Little Lane connecting Bloxwich Road North and Coltham Road.
Little Clothier Street. Named after "Little Clouthers Piece" which once covered the site. See also Clothier Street.
Little Wood Street. See Wood Street.
Littleton Road. Named after the Littleton Colliery which ceased production on December 10th 1993 after nearly a century of coal mining. It was the last deep coal mine in the Cannock area.
Lochalsh Grove. Named after the Kyle of Lochalsh in Scotland from where the ferry departs for the short journey to Kyleakin on the Isle of Skye. Plans are in hand to replace the ferry with a road bridge which will connect the island to the mainland.
Lodge Street. This street was so called because it overlooked the Lodge Farm before the view was obscured by more recent development. The farm itself, which once covered a large part of Bentley Common is now covered by a vast housing development. This Street was originally known as New Street.
Lombardy Gardens. Probably named after the Lombardy Poplar tree to fit in with the tree theme of this estate.
Long Acres. The ancient field name for an area which stretched from Railway Lane to Bilston Road in one direction and Rose Hill to Dilloways Lane in the other. The land was despoiled by mining operations during the last century and when the mines were abandoned the area lay derelict for many years until re-developed.
Longwood Rise. Probably takes its name from the town of Longwood in Shropshire.
Lonsdale Close. Named in honour of a former Bishop of Lichfield, the Right Reverend Bishop John Lonsdale. It was he who consecrated Willenhall's parish churches in the middle of the last century.
Lowbridge Close. Named after H.E.T. Lowbridge M.R.S.H. M.A.F.H.I. who was Willenhall's Chief Public Health Inspector for many years until he resigned on January 10th 1966 to take up a similar post with the Walsall Metropolitan Borough.
Lower Lichfield Street. Originally called just Lichfield Street but changed to differentiate between Upper Lichfield Street. The road originally formed part of the main road from Willenhall to Lichfield via Bloxwich and Brownhills. The road was adopted and considerably improved in 1921 to enable a bus service to be operated between Willenhall and Short Heath and Bloxwich.
Lowry Close. Laurence Stephen Lowery was born in Manchester in 1887 and worked all his life as a clerk but studied art in his spare time. He became famous for his paintings of the Lancashire Industrial Scene and of course for his "Matchstick men". He died in 1976.
Lucknow Road. During the Indian Mutiny Lucknow was captured by the rebels and held. It was relieved by the British Army in 1858 amidst much rejoicing back home in England. The campaign captured the imagination of the British people. The road was named to commemorate this campaign.
Ludlow Close. Named after the Shropshire town of Ludlow.
Lydney Close. Named after the town of Lydney in Gloucestershire.
Lynwood Close. This recent development is sandwiched between the M.6. Motorway and Crab Lane. Nothing is known of the origins of the name.
Willenhall History Society Website 29/1/00