Willenhall History Society
Street Names - K
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y
Keats Road. Named after John Keats 1795-1821 writer born in London the son of a Livery stable keeper, but spent much of his time in Rome from whence he returned in November 1820 only to die of consumption shortly afterwards.
Kensington Road. Named after the Borough of Kensington in West London.
Keasden Grove. Keasden is a small village in North Yorkshire, 2 miles South West of Clapham.
Kestrel Grove. Named after the Kestrel, a small British Falcon.
Kewstoke Close and Kewstoke Road. Kewstoke is a very small village situated near the popular seaside resort of Weston Super Mare in the county of Avon.
King Street. It is presumed that this street was named after King William the fourth, commonly known as the sailor king who reigned from 1830 until 1837 before being succeeded by Queen Victoria. After his death England was without a king until 1901.
Kingfisher Grove. Named after the Kingfisher, a bird with splendid plumage which preys on fish.
Kington Close. Named after the small town of Kington in Herefordshire.
Kinver Avenue. Named after the popular local beauty spot of Kinver.
Kipling Road. Named after Rudyard Kipling 1865 -1936. son of John Lockwood Kipling, he was born in Bombay India where he did journalistic work from 1882 to 1889. In 1894 what was probably the most well known of his works "Jungle Book" was published. It contained many of the characters which Lord Baden Powell used when he introduced "Scouting for Boys". In 1907 he was awarded the Nobel Prize for literature. He was also the Poet Laureate for a time
Knightsbridge Lane. Takes its name from Knights Bridge on the nearby Wyrley and Essington Canal and from a group of buildings known as Knights Buildings which once stood nearby.
Knowles Road. Built in the early part of the last century, this road was not made up and named until June 2nd 1913 at a cost of 99.1s.1d. It was named after Daniel Knowles who was a member, first of the Local Board of Health until 1894 and then a member of the newly formed Urban District Council from 1894 until he resigned on March 23rd 1896. He also served for a time of the Local School Board until control was taken over by the County Council. He was proprietor of the firm of Daniel Knowles and Son (Castings) Ltd. The road was demolished shortly after the Second World War as part of the town's slum clearance programme.
Willenhall History Society Website 29/1/00