Willenhall History Society
Street Names - E
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y
Eastacre. Like its neighbouring streets, Midacre and Westacre, stands on an area which for many years was known by the old field name of the Long Acres. The name is an attempt to retain something of the character of the original name. See also Long Acres.
Eaton Rise. This street is believed to be named after a local farmer named Jos. Eaton who farmed land nearby for many years.
Edgeworth Close. Named after the Gloucestershire town of Edgeworth near Cirencester.
Edinburgh Drive. Named after the city of Edinburgh, Scotland's capital
Edmoor Close. A small close off Coppice Lane. The origins of the name are unknown.
Elm Street. Like the nearby Elm Park Tavern Elm Street took its name from a stretch of open land which once stood between Stringes Lane and Clarkes Lane and was known as Ell Park. When the Elm Park Tavern was opened it was thought that Elm Park sounded better than Ell Park so a slight adjustment was made. Elm Street which was built in the early 1930's followed the trend. The site of Ell Park is now completely covered by housing.
Ensbury Close. Named after a town of the same name situated near Wimbourne in Dorset.
Ensdale Row. See Dimminsdale.
Ernest Clarke Close. Named after Councillor Ernest Clarke, post war member of Willenhall Urban District Council from 1955 until 1966 and Chairman for the year 1961-2. He was at one time Licensee of the Windsor Castle Inn, which stood in Wednesfield Road, but has now been demolished.
Essington Road. The road leading from New Invention to Essington.
Evans Street. Named after Councillor G.G. Evans of Clemson Street who was elected a member of Willenhall Urban District Council in 1907 and served for many years. He was appointed a Justice of the Peace in 1920 and served as Chairman of the council from 1933 to 1935. On January 9th 1925 he was appointed Officer in Charge of Willenhall Fire Brigade in succession to R.W. Stockham who had retired after 40 years service. On April 16th 1945 the Council presented Mr Evans with an Alabaster Casket to commemorate 38 years of continuous and distinguished service to the town, following which he retired from public life.
Ewhurst Close. There are towns of this name in Hampshire, Surrey and Sussex. Probably named after one or all of them.
Ezekiel Lane. This lane was previously known as Swan Lane after a pub of that name which still stands in the lane today. At a meeting of the Short Heath Urban District Council held on June 12th 1911 the following resolution was recorded. Swan Lane "The clerk read a letter from Mr Levi Poole asking for consent of the council to alter the name of the above to Zekiels Lane as that was the name on the deeds of his property, Councillor R. Squire moved and Councillor Hawthorn seconded, and it was resolved; that the old name of Zekiels Lane be reverted to" The lane was an ancient highway and, until the coming of the Wyrley and Essington Canal in 1794, was part of the main route between Willenhall and Bloxwich. It is believed that the original name may have derived from a man named Ezekiel Preston who lived in the area many years ago. It was not until 14th March 1909 that the council first adopted names for their streets and Swan Lane was one of 29 names adopted on that date. Before that date names developed from common usage.
Willenhall History Society Website 29/1/00