Willenhall History Society
Street Names - A
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W Y
Aberford Close. Named after a small town of that name in Yorkshire.
Acorn Street. Named after the Acorn Inn which stands nearby.
Acre Rise. This street, which stands on the Summer Hayes Estate, once formed part of the Pool Hayes Farm. An acre is used to measure a quantity of land and represents 48.40 square yards.
Ada Wrighton Close. Commemorates the outstanding work done by Mrs Wrighton for the people of Willenhall over a long period of years. Her work was recognised by the Queen in the 1991 Birthday Honours List when she was awarded the O.B.E. At that time Mrs Wrighton had been a magistrate for 30 years and was Deputy Chairman of the Walsall Bench. She was also Chairman of the Lord Chancellor's advisory committee which appointed Walsall magistrates. She represented Willenhall North on Willenhall Urban District Council from 1961 to 1966 and after the amalgamation with Walsall she served on the Walsall Metropolitan Borough Council from 1968 until 1974. Mrs Wrighton has been chairman of the Willenhall - Drancy twinning committee since 1966 and has arranged for more than 2,000 children from Walsall to travel to the French town on twinning visits. She also found time to assist with the Meals on Wheels Service, and in addition, found time to organise parties and outings for the elderly and disabled. Although Mrs Wrighton never occupied the chair of the Council her husband Reginald did. See also Wrighton Close. Mrs Wrighton retired from the Walsall bench on September 12th 1994 having reached the age of 70. She had served for 33 years.
Alamein Road. This road commemorates the Battle of El Alamein in October 1942 when General Montgomery's Commonwealth troops defeated the Afrika Corps led by Field Marshall Rommell and which culminated in the axis forces being driven out of North Africa. This was the battle which earned the Eighth Army immortality.
Albany Grove. Named after a well known hotel of that name.
Albert Clarke Close. Named after Councillor Albert Clarke, a member of the Willenhall Urban District Council from 1955 until 1958.
Albion Road. Albion Avenue and Albion Street. So named because of its proximity to the Albion Works of Messrs John Harper & Co.Limited. Believed to be one of the oldest established factories in Willenhall. Founded in 1790 by William Harper on the site in Walsall Road where the derelict remains of the factory still stand today. The first John Harper, after completing his indentures in 1840, became a clerk with Tildesley's of Willenhall, Ironmasters, who benefited considerably from the "Railway Mania" which was in full swing at the time. As funds accumulated they erected an iron foundry next to Harper's works called the New Albion Works to distinguish it from his earlier Ironworks already known as Albion Works. John Harper first became Manager but, when the bubble of" Railway mania" burst and financial problems arose, the New Albion Foundry was transferred to John Harper thus linking the family name to the works title. By 1927 the company had grown to such an extent that the old site was no longer adequate and they acquired a site in Clarkes Lane.The first phase of the relocation began when on December 3rd that year the first cast of metal was made at the new plant. The erection of a new office block in 1949 saw the completion of the transfer and the Walsall Road site was sold to another Ironfounder, Messrs H. & J. Hill Ltd.The Firm finally fell victim to the depression and closed for good in the 1980's The site is now covered by a modern housing estate.
Allens Close. Takes its name from Allens Rough Colliery which operated from approximately 1910 to 1932.
Alma Street. Commemorates the battle of Alma, one of the first major battles of the Crimean War which lasted from 1853 until 1856. The battle was fought on September 20th 1854 when allied troops consisting of British, French, Turkish and Sardinian troops forced a crossing of the river Alma against strong opposition from their enemies the Russians.
Alton Avenue. Named after the well known Leisure Park in North Staffs, Alton Towers.
Alvington Close. Named after the town of Alvington situated near Lydney in Gloucestershire.
Amberwood Close. A close off Overdale Drive. The name is believed to be a fictitious one, and of no special significance.
Ambrose Close See Aston Road.
Andrew Drive. Named after Councillor Cyril Andrew, member of Willenhall Urban District Council from 1955 until 1966, following which he represented the Bentley Ward on the Walsall MBC for some years. Councillor Andrew served as Chairman of the UDC for the year 1958\9.
Angel Passage. A narrow alley connecting Upper Lichfield Street with the Market Place. Takes its name from the Angel Hotel which for many years stood at its junction with the Market Place. It was demolished about 1930 to make way for the Willenhall Gas Co's new offices. The site is now a newsagent's shop.
Ann Street. See St Annes Road.
Arnhem Road. Commemorates the famous airborne landings of 1944 when British airborne troops attempted to capture and hold the Arnhem bridge over the River Rhine.
Arundel Road. Named after the town of Arundel in Sussex and Arundel Castle, seat of the Duke of Norfolk the premier Earl of England.
Ashmore Lake Road and Ashmore Lake Way. The name Ashmore comes from the nearby Ashmore Park Estate where once stood Ashmore Hall and its estate. The Hall was once in the ownership of a member of the Leveson family who had vast property holdings in the area including the Moat House at Willenhall. The lake is believed to refer to a large pool which once lay on the north side of where the Pool Hayes School stands today but which was filled in when development of that area took place during the 1960's.
Ashburn Grove. Situated on a recent development which stands on the site of the former John Harper Ltd, Albion works in Clarkes Lane. The area was developed in the late 1980's following the closure of the Works. Nothing is known as to the origins of the name which is probably fictitious.
Aspen Grove. Aspen is the name of a wild flower which can be seen growing in nearby Rough Wood.
Aston Road. This road together with Ambrose Close was named in honour of Councillor Ambrose Aston who was a prominent member of the Willenhall Urban District Council for many years. Over the years many councillors have been honoured by having streets named after them but Councillor Aston is probably the only one to have two. He worked tirelessly to help to create the Memorial Park, and was instrumental in persuading people to donate trees and benches with which to beautify the park and also birds and peacocks for the aviary. The avenue of Lime trees which runs from the Dartmouth Avenue entrance down towards the park extension still stands today as testimony to his efforts and he was instrumental in raising 46.15s for their cost.Later on he was also instrumental in raising the cash to pay for the clock on top of the shelter which alas, has now fallen victim to vandalism. Mr Aston served on the council from 1910 until 1928 when he retired due to ill health. He then returned in 1931 for a further 3 years before retiring from public life for good in 1934.
Astoria Close. and Astoria Gardens Take their name from the well known London hotel of that name.
Avon Drive. Takes its name from the River Avon.